28 Aug 5 TRAITS OF A GOOD MARKETING PLAN FOR NON-PROFITS
CHRIS ELDER, PRINCIPAL, FMG
Effective NPO marketing begins with a plan. But not all plans are created equal. Here are the 5 traits of an effective NPO marketing plan:
- Goal-driven. Marketing plans directly tie to the organization’s mission and strategic plan, with clear goals and outcomes articulated.
- Target Audience Oriented. Important audiences and stakeholders are described and specific outcomes and communications are defined for each group.
- Actionable. Schedules and budgets are broken down into specific tactics, campaigns, and programs with tangible success metrics.
- Sustainable. The plan is resourced adequately throughout the budget period. This is especially critical fro branding and always-on digital tactics.
- Diversified. Plan avoids single channel tactics, such as relying solely on fundraising events, or going 100% digital. The marketing mix should be configured toward the tactics that best address your goals.